Monday, October 15, 2007

Confession


Recently I have seen several articles about an increase in the rate of people going to confession. I was very glad that someone is finally acknowledging it.

For years people have complained, "Before Vatican II the lines of people going to confession were very long, but now no one ever goes." This statement always drives me crazy because it hasn't been my experience at all.

The city in which I live has three parishes. No matter which one I go to I always wait in line at least 45 minutes. That is, unless I arrive 20 minutes before the scheduled time and then I only have to wait 25 minutes. During Lent, my husband and I were able to get someone to watch Happy Boy so we could go together for once instead of on different days. We got there right at the start of the scheduled time and there were already more than 20 people in line. We knew from experience that we wouldn't be able to get in to the confessional there so we went to a different church. There were already more than 20 people in line ahead of us even though we got there more than twenty minutes early. By the time it began there were at least 15 people behind us as well.

I know it is a good thing that there are such long lines for confession, but I wish that the priests had enough time to schedule more. I also wish that the anti-Vatican Two-ers would open their eyes and see how many of the faithful take advantage of this wonderful sacrament.

1 comment:

Festes said...

I go to confession but not to confess my SINS but to commit more SINS.I lie to the PRIEST & PISS in the confessional.You see i LOVE to SIN.If you do not BELIEVE ME VISIT my blog at http://cursejesuschrist.blogspot.com and see...Feel free to leave any comments you feel like...