Saturday, October 27, 2007

Bella

Well, I jumped on the Catholic bandwagon and went to see the much-hyped-in-the-conservative-Catholic-subculture movie Bella. It was the first movie I have seen in the theaters since The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.

When I first heard about Bella I wasn't interested in seeing it, but the more I heard about it the more I wanted to see it. Another reason I wanted to watch the movie was because I had heard that it was clean and pro-life. Those are two rare virtues in movies nowadays and I wanted to support the movie for that in hopes that more movies will be made with such virtues.

So what did I think about it? It was very, very good. It seemed a little Christian but mostly secular and I think that is a good thing. Movies that are ostensibly Christian tend to alienate non-Christians, but the movie's Christian qualities were all very subtle. I hope that the seeds of being open to life will be planted due to that.

Bella was one of those movies that cause the viewer to run the gamut of emotions. At one point I was crying from sadness and at another crying from how beautiful the scene was. Although this was by no means a comedy, there was also a little laughter as well.

At the movie's end I had a lot to think about. During the movie I was wondering what the fuss was about. Why did everyone say this movie was so good? But once it ended, I could just tell that its goodness just was. Why is it good? It just is. That probably doesn't make any sense, but I can't do any better than that.

Go see it for yourself.

2 comments:

Mary G said...

I agree that a movie that is too Cahtolic/Christian gets so easily slammed...I'm hoping that this one is given a good chance as the message is about loving life and living it joyfully -- a sentiment that transcends religious divisions!

Blessings Helene!

Eden said...

Thanx for visiting and for entering our giveaway. Good luck with the other giveaways you enter.