Sunday, August 12, 2007

Dumpster Diving

This evening we happened to drive past a dumpster and I saw several books scattered around it. I started to mention that to my husband and was about to ask why anyone would throw away books when I interrupted myself.

"That looked like the Compendium!"

"Really?" my husband asked in disbelief.

He turned around and I jumped out of the car. In addition to the Compendium to the Catechism of the Catholic Church there were the following books:

The Lost Books of the Bible
The Divine Family: The Trinity and Our Life in God
Prove It: God
Opus Dei: The Life and Works of Its Founder Josemaria Escriva

and a book called Meditations on the Mysteries of Our Holy Faith, volume II printed in 1852.

My first reaction to finding these next to the dumpster was to wonder if something was wrong with them. But after smelling them and having them pass with flying colors, all I can do is wipe them down with Lysol (something I would normally never dream of) and hope for the best.

No comments: