Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Fancy Nancy


A couple different bloggers raved about the book Fancy Nancy. Even though this is a book for girls (which Happy Boy is definitely not), I thought I would check it out from the library just to see for my own enjoyment how good the book was.

Well, I enjoyed it. Happy Boy enjoyed it even more. After having us read it to him over and over and over he started saying, "Fancy Reeda, fancy Reeda." When my husband said, "No, fancy Happy Boy," he would reply, "No! Fancy Reeda! Fancy Reeda!"

Now when we read "Fancy Dancey" (as he calls it), he makes us read the story as if he were Nancy. "This is Happy Boy's room before he made it fancy. Happy Boy loves being fancy." Fortunately there are no places in the book where Nancy says she likes wearing skirts or dresses. I doubt that making him the main character in a decidedly effeminate book will have lasting effects on him since he is only two, but I feel funny saying that his favorite color is fuchsia and that he likes wearing lacy socks.

I think it is time to return this book before there is any lasting effect on him I get sick and tired of it. But that won't stop me from checking out Fancy Nancy and the Posh Puppy.

No comments: