Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Something is Working

We normally go to a local monastery for Sunday Mass, but lately one thing or another has come up and we have gone to one of the local parishes. All of the parishes were built in the "church in the round" style, which I don't particularly care for. However, this style seems especially good for us because we can sit in the front or next-to-front row, but don't have to walk down the main aisle in front of everyone in case there is a noisy child.

I have been trying to get Happy Boy to pay attention to the Consecration by pointing out Our Lord's presence to him, but I didn't know if it was working. The a couple of weeks ago I saw him lift up his cup at dinner and say, "Aaaaameeen." A few days later he said while holding a piece of bread, "This is my body - take and eat this all up." Needless to say, this made my husband and I very happy. The icing on the cake, however, came this Sunday. As the priest elevated the consecrated host, Happy Boy pointed and said, "Jesus!"

Although I am not anti-Traditional Latin Mass, something makes me think that in this case the English Mass is better. I just can't see my three year old saying, "Hoc est enim corpus meum."

1 comment:

Flannery said...

I'm working on catechizing a new resident, and my big achievement has been to get her to point to the Eucharist in a monstrance or when the priest elevates it and say "God!" This is doubly good, because it means she understands that Jesus is God, since I always say Jesus in reference to the Eucharist. But the next question is: does she know who God is? Hard to say.