Monday, May 28, 2007

Remembering the Fallen


I personally haven't known anyone who has died while in the service. However, my grandmother told me that her best friend, her brother Bill, died during World War II. After Bill died, his military priest wrote to their mother to let her know that the morning his plane was shot down Bill had served Mass for him. My grandmother and her mother have taken great consolation in that knowledge.

Every man who dies has a story, a family, and a soul. Remembering this makes the horror of war so much worse for me. My heart breaks for each mother, wife and sister who looses someone and I hope and pray that I am never in their position.

Reflecting upon Memorial Day, I realized that it is a wonderful thing to have this day. We all know that it is good to honor our fallen soldiers, but it is hard to remember to do such a thing (at least for me). Even though we can never give them the honor due to someone who has sacrifice everything for us, at least we have a day to do something in remembrance of them.

Eternal rest grant unto them, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon them.

No comments: